3X REASONS TO START SEWING YOUR OWN CLOTHES
You so excited to try on new styles of clothes to add to your style and image, which we all know is an investment to boost your self-confidence. “But, no”! Instead you leave the wonder frustrated with either nothing new or with styles you are not wonder thrilled about but there was nothing else that really suited you better, which you know you are going to regret once you get home having to settle for something that isn’t really you.
Let’s get back to the fitting room as you tried on the clothing items.
1. What was the overall fit of the garments on your body?
2. Did the design suit and fit your body proportions?
3. Did the colours or the prints complement your skin, hair & eyes colour/tones and to mention the rest of your wardrobe to mix n match?
Generally, clothing manufactures make clothing styles for the average proportional size body shape, not taking into consideration that in reality women’s bodies have changed over the last decade or two, with increasing waistlines or hips, due to high levels of stress, hormones in the beef and chicken and the huge impact of chemicals as MFC, MSG, gluten and the high sugary flavour enhancing properties that is in our foods.
Dr Marilyn Glenville, an expert in women’s health, said: “Our waistlines have ballooned – women are fatter around the middle than ever – and our stressful lifestyles are to blame.
“When we are stressed the body releases extra energy in the form of fat and glucose, to prepare us for the “fight or flight” mechanism, but unless you do something physical it is redeposited as fat around the middle of your body.
“The reason fat targets the middle is because it is close to the liver where it can be quickly converted back into energy if needed.”
Reasons to start sewing your own style:
No, wonder you can’t find well fitted clothes in the stores, even for those ladies that do have a well-balanced body shape, are you truly finding styles that suit your personal style?
1. Style of garments do not fit correctly on your entire body, for instance the typical apple body shape, might identify to this, wearing shirts/jackets that are too large over your shoulders when accommodating the fuller tummy area.
2. Lengths of trousers or sleeves are either too short or too long.
3. Seasonal fashion colour trends do not suit or complement everyone’s skin/hair/eyes tones.
The reality is that a lot of women are wearing styles:
1. That do not suit their body shape, with designs that do not enhance their good assets, making them look unpolished and untailored in their appearance.
2. lengths of garments not being in proportion to their body lengths to give that well balanced body proportion.
3. Wearing colours or prints that make them look older, paler or dark rings under their eyes, instead of glowing and being more radiant, which will uplift anyone’s self-confidence levels.
WOULD YOU AGREE THAT YOUR IMAGE PLAYS A HUGE ROLE ON FIRST IMPRESSIONS?
IT TAKES ABOUT 3SECONDS FOR PEOPLE TO JUDGE YOU WITHOUT YOU EVEN SAYING A WORD.
Breaking down the FACTS ABOUT FIRST IMPRESSIONS
Your image & appearance is 55%
Your body language is 38%
your words are only 7%
There have been studies done on how your clothing affects your behavior, your vocabulary the words you use, your performance and confidence.
As a child you put on a ballerina outfit and you become the dancer, put on a superwomen cape and you get super powers, put on a sexy lingerie number and you become the queen of seduction…
Clothing in cognition studies
how your clothing affects your behavior, your vocabulary the words you use, your performance and confidence.
The test have shown by putting on a white coat on three people telling them one is a artist, another is an doctor, supervisor and did some random tests, they found that the doctor coat, spoke using better word of vocabulary, behavior, character and posture was more professional, and made less mental mistakes through out the test.
You project to the world by the clothes and style you wear & you become what you are wearing and soon people don’t see the clothes anymore just the person.
*Managing your image is the process of putting your best self forward.
*When you project an image of confidence you are more likely to succeed in business and in your social life.. Whether you are changing jobs, recently divorced, single getting back into the dating game.
WARDROBE 20% – Nothing to wear
Wasting time in front of wardrobe
Bored with the same styles you wear
The question is how change this into wearing 80%
Would mean to detox your wardrobe. Letting go of some of your clothes, is never easy, I know.
Selecting items that will help you create a functional and more versatile wardrobe.
Draw up a list of items that are missing in your wardrobe,
invest wisely in your shopping
adding new items into your wardrobe,
creative in mixing and matching you can have an exciting wardrobe and creating your own individual style.
Know your body shape,
which styles suit your curves
your correct body proportions – correct lengths
my service is to offer you advice ad guidance
colours suit you best.
Using this knowledge To develop your own style & invest wisely
Groomingneat and tidy hair,
good cut, healthy condition,
well manicured, as we speak with our hands this is what most people notice
Corporate world – very masculine
Yin and yang – keep your femininity
Dressing for corporate but still managing to keep your individuality.
LAYERS – having more tops and some basic bottoms
Fabrics types, details that you like bring these into your personal style
- PANTS –classic pants, fitted or straight leg and flair leg. Black , navy or neutrals
- Shirt – white , black or in neutral colours
- Classic jacket –in black or navy
- Soft jacket – one button
- Cardigans long or short length
- Blouses – print or plain
- Shoes, pointy toe, flats, block heel, closed shoes
- Well fitted dress, shaped for your body shape
Each item you keep in your wardrobe or purchase, must be able to mix n match with the rest of our items in your wardrobe.
TO BOOST SELF-IMAGE &SELF-CONFIDENCE
Believe it, people do notice all the finer details.
Have you brushed your hair, painted your toenails when wearing open toe shoes, matched your clothing, walk up straight, carry a good posture, speak firmly and clearly, knowing who you are and what you want?
- You image says so much about you before you even say a word. Allow your image or style to truly present who you are. Make time to press your clothing, plan your outfit and accessories to compliment your look, make an impression.
- Your posture, shouts out aloud, I am confidence or either insecure, lonely, miserable or the victim, please feel sorry for me. Walk proudly with good posture, without slouching, check your reflection when walking past windows or mirrors, and give yourself an approval smile.
- Be on time. This habit leaves the impression that you respect other’s time as well as your own, and this is an incredible good trait to have, it leaves you with an inner accomplishment, as well as others see you as reliable and responsible.
- What thoughts are you entertaining in your mind 80% of the day? Are they empowering thoughts or thoughts that are breaking your confidence, self-esteem down with disempowering thoughts, which leaves you feeling inadequate, which leads to actions and habits that you are not good enough, and you find all the excuses in the world why you shouldn’t do this or do that, holding you back from growing to your fullest potential.
- What daily habits do you have that are holding you back?Example, overeating all the time and gaining tremendous amount of weight, you no longer good great in your clothes in your wardrobe. What if you could change, stop or let go of these habits, how could you change your life and your self-esteem?
- Be aware of the words you are using, are they negative or positively uplifting? Positive and happy people have this invisible and yet very tangible force about them, people want to be around you, and definitely not around negative people, which one are you?
Take time for yourself, reflect where you are right now, what you could change even if it is one little habit a day, stay consistent in your awareness by implementing your new thoughts, actions and behaviors, soon these habits will become the new improved you.
By Tania Sutherland
CLARITY ON SEWING YOUR OWN TRUE STYLE
- BEST FIT
To create the best fit for your clothing that you are designing and constructing would, start with taking correct body measurements which will determine a better fitting garment.
- BODY PROPORTIONS
Before you can go ahead and do all your styling it is important to understand your body measurements and identify your body imperfections, for example you might have very long legs and be short waisted, with long arms, and very narrow shoulders, and large bust. Most likely this would mean that standard commercial patterns won’t fit you when cutting just one straight size, chances you would have to alter, lengthen and perhaps cut more than one size in the pattern to get your perfect fit, which will once again give you an incredibly well fitted garment on completion, creating a more stylish fit, and boosting your cutting to size pattern and sewing confidence.
- BODY SHAPE
Knowing your body shape will definitely assist in your pattern adjusting and manipulating for that superior final fit as well as understanding which styles suit your body shape best, to enhance all your good assets and to hide those you do not want to emphasis. Google more information whether you are apple shape, hourglass shape, rectangle pear, pear shape, inverted triangle, as well as your body frame, tall petite, broad shoulders, flat chested, etc. Understanding all aspects of your body frame and bone structure gives you more information to research around these body imperfections and to design styles that suit these body shapes, and so on.
- DEFINING YOUR OWN FASHION STYLE
Collect fashion magazines, cut out and paste creating your own fashion style vision board with all the styles and details you like, which you can refer back to for ideas and inspiration.
Next, step would be to be honest with yourself, do you like your current style rate this from 1 to 10?
Have you outgrown your style or never really made much effort before? Perhaps you have pick up or lost weight?
The most inexpensive way to test your true fashion style would be, to go to your local mall clothing retail stores and try on different styles and colours of items. Take photographs of you wearing these styles for later reference, this allowing you time to asses and absorb the styles you thought you would never wear but looked great on you.
- STYLING WITH CONFIDENCE
Now, you have done your research you can go through your pattern selection or make up a list of which patterns, fabrics and colours you would need. Start a sewing planner for your new style project. Check out my website www.taniasutherland.co.zafor my SEWING PLANNER eBook, which has more detailed information elaborating with more detail than these few pointers to guide you along. C
FASHION BIZ START-UP 10#
2 STARTER-UP TIPS & STEPS:
TURN YOUR DESIGNING & DRESSMAKING INTO A BUSINESS
STEP 23: Catalogue
- Create a catalogue of your stock or range
- Get a celebrity, someone to be your ambassador to model your clothing range, and in return use all the photographs of your styles in your catalogue or on your online shop
- Ask someone you know with the correct size body shape for your styles who has the right look you want, to model your styles for you
- Or you can be your own brand model
- Do you have all your products on your website that you offer, to show potential clients?
- Do you have an showroom where you have samples of your range that clients can come and see and feel the fabrics? – especially if you are supplying shops or boutiques?
STEP 24: Take your business to the next step
- What are all the things you can do, make or source out that you can sell?
- List all the things you can do (service), source or make that you can sell, create a platform for them
- Perhaps you can supply other boutiques,
- bags to certain chain stores,
- jewellery to tourist industry shops
- fashion shows to raise funds for charity events
- Have affiliates on your website, that can sell your products or range on their website linked to yours
- Teach knitting/crochet classes once or twice a week or make a video how to, and sell them
On my workshops “start-up fashion biz” I give more details on all these business blogs and pricing & profit on your garments – sign up and subscribe on my website for newsletter and next available workshops I offer. www.taniasutherland.co.za